Thursday, October 9, 2014

All About Roles :)

One of the most exciting things about the Disney College Program is all the different roles or job positions they have. There are roles that involve working in the restaurants, hotels, attractions, even the water parks! I wanted to take a minute to talk about the role I received, and my top role choices I requested during my interview.

Space Ship Earth, in Epcot

I was assigned the Custodial Guest Services Role, and I know a lot of people are not pleased when they find out they were given this role. However, I was not one of those people! In fact, Custodial was my number-one role choice!! Yes it involves a lot of cleaning, and may not be the job you dream of doing when you think about working for Disney, but after doing a lot of research on all of the roles, I found that there are actually a lot of really great aspects to Custodial!

First of all, Custodians get a lot of guest interactions! You are outside mingling with guests for almost your entire shift, handing out maps, giving directions, taking family photos, and answering questions. This is where a good sense of direction and a broad understanding of the parks come in handy, both of which I have (Thanks to my obsession with guide books and the disboards!).

Secondly, Custodians have a lot of freedom! Custodial Cast Members don't have to stand in one place for a long time like merchandise or attractions cast members do, and they get to see everything that's going on while they are cleaning, such as parades, street performers, and fireworks!

Custodians also get to do a lot of fun things, like pin trading with guests! Custodians are provided a lanyard with pins for trading, which is a lot of fun and is an easy way to make guests have a magical day. Some custodians even draw disney character art on the ground with water and brooms.

Finally, putting a high interest in Custodial on your application and during your interview, may boost your chances of getting into the program! Disney needs a lot of custodians, and not that many people are interested in the role. I stressed my interest in custodial during my interview, and although I don't know if I would have still been accepted had I not put a high interest in the role, I think it may have helped guarantee my acceptance.

The World of Disney Store in Down Town Disney

Some other roles I had a high interest in were Merchandise and Costuming. I have worked retail in the past, and absolutely love shopping, especially at Disney, so Merchandising has always been one of my top choices. Besides having a lot of guest interaction, Merchandise Cast Members get to work indoors unless you are working one of the outside kiosks, so you will most likely be protected from the weather. I am also a huge fan of Disney costumes, both for characters and Cast Members, and I love clothes and am interested in back stage Disney, so costuming was another role I was highly interested in.

Other roles I was interested in were Main Gate Operations (Taking peoples passes when they enter the park), Attractions (Running the rides), Full Service Food and Beverage (Waitressing or Hosting) Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique (The salon for girls to be turned into little princesses) and Photo Pass Photography (Taking pictures for guests at iconic locations in the parks). These are not all of the roles Disney World offers, just the ones I was interested in :) Disneyland's Program offers similar roles with slightly different responsibilities.

I am very pleased with my role and can't wait to get started!

"So hum a merry tune, it won't take long when there's a song to help you set the pace." ~Snow White

No comments:

Post a Comment